Friday, December 9, 2011

I Can't Put This Book Down...

We bought the book "An Honest Look at a Mysterious Journey" on Sunday. It's written by the former pastor of Salem Alliance, John Stumbo. In 2008, John faced death from a disease that no doctor was able to name. Through God's mercy, John lived through it, and this book tells all about his physical pain, emotional pain and questioning God's purpose in all of it.
I read this passage today and was reminded about why it's a good idea to attend church even when we don't feel like it:
"Looking back over the last few months, I realize that by attending church...
...I think thoughts I would not otherwise think
... hear truths I would not otherwise hear
...I sing songs I would not otherwise sing
...I meet people I would not otherwise meet
...I give offerings I may not otherwise give
...I rejoice in missions' efforts and in new followers of Jesus that I would not otherwise know about
...I receive encouragement and challenge I would not otherwise receive
...I shed tears I would not have otherwise shed
...I receive a blessing I would not otherwise have received
...I pray prayers I would not have thought to pray
...I meet God in a way I would not have met Him had I stayed home in my chair
...And perhaps my attendance is an encouragement or testimony to someone else.

When I'm there, I may not like every song or agree with every word spoken. But that's not the point, I may have wrestled with Him all week but come the weekend I publically present myself again to acknowledge my allegiance to Him. Satan may have beaten me around during the week, but I'm going to show up in church again and declare Whose side I'm on."

No comments: