Wednesday, October 8, 2008

All I Need is a Good Contest

Andrew asked me recently what I had found to take my interest now that we have both a Krispy Kreme and Panera Bread in our area. I've decided after my shopping trip yesterday that I've found what it is. Let me tell you about it...

When I started teaching 3-year-olds at a new school, they told me about the Box Tops for Education program that they participate in each year. I knew about these box tops because they are on a lot of products that I buy such as cereal, cake mix, and other boxed products put out by General Mills. Each box top is worth 10 cents, and schools can use the money to purchase much needed supplies. But then my school threw in the bait: there will be a contest between the grades to see who can bring in the most box tops each month.

So I went onto the website, printed out a list of all the products (which now include Ziploc, Kleenex and a lot more), and I handed these lists out to the parents. I looked through my pantry and found close to 20 plus I raided Elie's, Andrew & Megan's and Jennifer found 23 in her stash!!!

But what got my adrenaline pumping was when I saw the Albertson's ad last week which featured many of these products on sale. Once you buy 10 participating brands, there was a bonus $5.00 taken off at the register. Great! Then in Sunday's paper there was a whole insert with coupons for these products. So I talked my husband into taking me there after we visited the Verizon store, and the two of us got to work. Armed with the ad, coupons, and determination, we got our cart and started cruising the aisles.

The first stop was cereal. I needed to find three General Mills brands so that I could use my $1.00 off coupon. No problem. Since we were in the cereal aisle, we also found fruit snacks on sale plus a coupon to buy 2 and get 50 cents off. I chose Batman and My Little Pony to share with my preschool class. This is fun! Now we have five items with five to go. Our search continued in the baking aisle, refrigerated biscuits, paper products and before we knew it, we had all we needed.

So now it was on to the checkout. I would NEVER shop at Albertson's and pay their full price for anything. $3.29 for the smallest box of Cheerios? Never! But $1.50 with a coupon? Now that's OK. So if I had bought these items at full price, the total would have been close to $40.00. But with the sale prices, the total was reduced by $16.00. Coupons took another $4.29 off, and the bonus of buying 10 participating items subtracted $5.00. So my total was $11.77 plus I have all those Box Tops for Education coupons to add to the contest for my class. Wow!

Now if I could just remember what our class will win.....oh well, it was lots of fun. By the way, do you have any box tops?

No comments: